Thursday, July 14, 2011

An addict's prayer

I whispered, please help me, I can't go on
the road has been hard and far too long.
When this thing started it was all fun and games,
I had no idea it was going to kick ass and take names.

And mind started to falter as I whispered my plea,
I'd lost all my hope, and wondered where could it be?
My body was hurting, for the only thing it knew,
And I looked at the spoon, it started talking too.

I'd run out of real reasons and places to hide,
my heart began aching there was no one at my side
How did I get here and falling so low,
Where was my dignity, where did it go?

And I remembered a promise from a long time ago,
That God could and would if you just let him know.
It was at one of those meetings, that first I heard the phrase,
But I was lost in this thing called addiction and it's dark maze.

I gave up all hope of ever finding my way back,
And I looked at the needle ready to add one more track,
When something inside me began to twist and snap,
It was my lost soul leaving for that eternal knap.

And then at that moment, I heard something say,
You don't need to do this, you've got one more day
No one abandoned you, we were here all along,
waiting and wondering for you to hear the song.

That's when it happened and I got on my knees,
and I told him my sad story and begged him please.
I got up and knew, I was done lying, stealing and cheating,
and dragged my sorry ass back to a meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment